Friday, November 8, 2013

What They Said: Marianne Williamson


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure…We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone.” –Marianne Williamson

 

While searching for a tidbit for a new post I remembered the movie Akeelah and the Bee. I enjoyed that show immensely though it has been a while since I’ve seen it. I do believe I’ll get it and watch it with my children. J

I’m not exactly sure whether this quote was used in the movie, referenced somehow or what, but while looking up that movie I came across this quote. Sure I could have researched it more and had all the information but I got carried away by the quote itself. It screamed at me and I had to share it. It definitely goes along with the post I wrote yesterday in some ways, or at least I felt it did at the time of reading and writing this. (INSERT HERE)


It made me think. As humans, don’t we fear being inadequate? Oftentimes, isn’t that at the heart of our fears? Though I can also see what Marianne is saying about being fearful of having such a magnitude of power. Now whether you are a religious or spiritual person isn’t the topic of which I am speaking of, though the quote takes that into consideration. What I am talking about is the passion people have within them. Who are we to allow whatever message we have inside us sit idly by, or even worse, snuff it out by not embracing and using it to the best of our ability.

Such as is with survivors of abuse. I speak of those who have overcome and are living fruitful, productive lives. They have a message, a testimony of sorts if you will. To share their experience, even in an impersonal way if it is too much to get too deep, can at times be the springboard that will help move another person suffering. It can be the thing that pushes them to make a change, to seek healing or safety, to open up about something that should no longer be in the dark.

With artists, whether it is music, drawing, writing, or whatever…we too have a message inside us. Sometimes it is in the form of a fictional story. Maybe it is a verse or two of a song meant to be sung. Maybe it is an image that needs to escape the mind’s eye and find the world of others. No matter what it is, it is a message of sorts. And I feel we are ‘borne to manifest” those ideas, messages, images, ect. It isn’t selfish to want to shine. It is only in allowing ourselves to shine that others can finally see the light bright enough to find it in themselves to ignite the light inside them. It is a domino effect, truly. And if you refuse to take part in it, refuse to let your light shine…who’s light are you hindering. Who are you preventing from igniting the manifestation of their own message? And are you willing to accept the unspoken and even unrealized potential consequences of that action?

No comments:

Post a Comment