Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Who's On Top: Nonfiction

Top 5 Nonfiction:
Hardcover:
1. SI-COLOGY 1, by Si Robertson with Mark Schlabach
2. THE LIBERTY AMENDMENTS, by Mark R. Levin
3. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, by Phil Robertson with Mark Schlabach
4. ZEALOT, by Reza Aslan
5. LEAN IN, by Sheryl Sandberg with Nell Scovell
 
Spotlight:
SI-COLOGY 1 

by Si Robertson with Mark Schlabach

As you read this book, there are a few things you have to understand: 95 percent of my stories are truthful. Every member of the Robertson family has the God- given gift of storytelling. Hey, when you’ve sat in a duck blind for more than half of your life, you have to figure out some way to pass the time! It’s better than looking at Willie and Jase for six hours! Many of the stories I like to tell happened when I was a young boy or when I was in Vietnam. At my age, a few of the details are cloudy, but I’ll recollect the coming stories as best I can. Hey, just remember it isn’t a lie if you think it’s true! It’s up to you, the reader, to figure out what’s truth and what’s fiction. Best of luck with that, Jack! May the force be with you.

Hey, another thing you have to know: my stories are kind of like my vocabulary. You might have noticed I like to say “hey” quite a bit. “Hey” can mean anything. It can mean “yes,” it can mean “maybe,” and it can mean “no.” Hey, it could mean “next week.” The bottom line is, you have to understand “hey” to understand me.

And if you know anything about Silas Merritt Robertson, you know I’m a hard rascal to figure out.

—From the Prologue



Paperback: 
1. ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, by Piper Kerman
2. PROOF OF HEAVEN, by Eben Alexander
3. OUTLIERS, by Malcolm Gladwell
4. THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS, by Rebecca Skloot
5. THE GLASS CASTLE, by Jeannette Walls
 
Spotlight: 
WAKING UP IN HEAVEN 
by Crystal McVea and Alex Tresniowski 

Someday soon, one of my precious three-year-old twins is going to ask me the question “Mommy, what happened to you when you died?”

Someday they will overhear me telling my story to someone and want to know more about it. They will look at me with their big, innocent eyes and try to make sense of what they’re hearing. It isn’t always easy explaining what happened even to adults, so how am I going to explain it to my kids?

There is so much I want to share with them, so much I want them to know. You see, my story is one of hope and forgiveness and salvation, and of the glorious healing power of God’s presence. It’s the story of what I saw and what I learned when, during a hospital stay, I left my body for nine minutes and went to heaven and stood before God. And it’s the story of how, when I came back to Earth, my life was profoundly and permanently changed— changed down to the very core of my being.

But it is also a story that, for the longest time, I didn’t want to tell. 


E-Book:
1. ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, by Piper Kerman
2. SH*T MY DAD SAYS, by Justin Halpern
3. KETCHUP IS A VEGETABLE, by Robin O'Bryant
4. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, by Phil Robertson with Mark Schlabach
5. SI-COLOGY 1, by Si Robertson with Mark Schlabach

 Spotlight: 
SH*T MY DAD SAYS
by Justin Halpern

After being dumped by his longtime girlfriend, twenty-eight-year-old Justin Halpern found himself living at home with his seventy-three-year-old dad. Sam Halpern, who is "like Socrates, but angrier, and with worse hair," has never minced words, and when Justin moved back home, he began to record all the ridiculous things his dad said to him:
"That woman was sexy. . . . Out of your league? Son, let women figure out why they won't screw you. Don't do it for them."

"Do people your age know how to comb their hair? It looks like two squirrels crawled on their heads and started fucking."

"The worst thing you can be is a liar. . . . Okay, fine, yes, the worst thing you can be is a Nazi, but then number two is liar. Nazi one, liar two."
More than a million people now follow Mr. Halpern's philosophical musings on Twitter, and in this book, his son weaves a brilliantly funny, touching coming-of-age memoir around the best of his quotes. An all-American story that unfolds on the Little League field, in Denny's, during excruciating family road trips, and, most frequently, in the Halperns' kitchen over bowls of Grape-Nuts, Sh*t My Dad Says is a chaotic, hilarious, true portrait of a father-son relationship from a major new comic voice. 

Disclaimer: All blurbs come from Goodreads.com, all list come from NYTimes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment