Friday, June 28, 2013

Monique Domovitch Tour: Getting SKinny

Getting Skinny by Monique Domovitch

 
Owning a restaurant is as crazy for Nicky Landry as an alcoholic owning a bar. But despite having to cram herself into a body shaper to look decent in a dress, life is pretty good. She's throwing the party of the year for her graduating doctor boyfriend, Rob, who she's sure is going to propose—until his new girlfriend shows up at the party.

After ordering Rob to get his stuff out of her house and get lost, Nicky finds him faceup with her expensive Chroma knife sticking right out of his cheating heart.

As the prime suspect, Nicky is in hot water. And no matter how hard she tries to clear her name, her problems only mount. She's convinced she can solve the murder—if only she can figure out the identity of the skinny person seen walking away with Rob after the party.

Getting "Skinny" won't be easy for Nicky, but she never imagined it would be life or death…
 
A WORD FROM THE AUTHOR!
 
I recently got an interesting question from a reader, “Do I read other novels while I’m working on a book of my own,” and I thought I’d address it today.
If I’d been asked that same question ten years ago, my answer would have been, “as little as possible.” Don’t get me wrong. I love to read. In fact I’m always complaining that I don’t have enough time to read. I have piles and piles of books just waiting for me. Ten years ago, you see, I didn’t have nearly the amount of writing experience I have now. I also had not yet developed what is called a voice that was distinctly mine. Back then, whenever I read somebody else’s work while I was working on my own, I felt as if a rhythm in my mind had suddenly changed. The next day, when I went back to my manuscript, I found myself writing in a style similar to that of the author I’d just read. (Imagine you’re dancing to a certain song and suddenly the music changes. It becomes difficult to keep to the same dance style, the same rhythm when completely different music is playing—unless you are a professional dancer. Then, nothing will shake your choreography.)
I recently came across an old unfinished manuscript of mine and started reading it out of curiosity. It was like reading a book written by about half a dozen different people, either that of a schizophrenic author. Oh, the story line continued smoothly, but the vocabulary changed. The style, even the speech patterns were noticeably different from one section to the next.
Having said that, every author is influenced by each of the books he or she reads during their life. And there is no question that I’ve learned a tremendous amount even from temporarily adopting those different styles of writing. Now, however, my voice is strong enough that it doesn’t get unduly influenced when I read other authors. I enjoy reading them, and I learn from them, still.
For any wannabe author, here is a simple exercise you can try. Pick half a dozen books of completely different styles. One might be an old classic, another might be a contemporary classic. One could be a young adult, and so on. First, read a page out loud from each one of those books. Then try writing a scene, the same scene, in each of the voice of all those authors. It won’t take long until you know which of those voices feels most natural to you. And from there, your own voice will start taking shape.
That’s it for now, amigos. Gotta get back to my new manuscript.
Take care,
Monique Domovitch
 
 
Follow Monique along her tour!
 
 
June 28 – Melissa’s Mochas, Mysteries and More – Guest Post

July 1 – Evolved World – Review & Excerpt

July 2- I Heart Books – Guest Post

July 3 – Samantha March – Q&A & Excerpt

July 8 – Oodles of Books – Review

July 9 - Jersey Girl Book Reviews - Review, Guest Post & Excerpt
July 10 – Free eBooks Daily – Q&A

July 11 – The Broke Book Bank – Guest Post, Q&A & Excerpt

July 12 – Storm Goddess Book Reviews – Review & Excerpt

July 13 – Lavender & Camomile Press – Q&A

Author Bio:
Monique Domovitch lives with her husband and an ever expanding family of dogs. They travel extensively and she is never seen without her laptop. When is not writing or traveling, Monique is an avid baker.
Twitter: Moniquedomovitc
Buy the Book!

1 comment: