This Week's Spotlight:
UNCANNY AVENGERS, VOL. 1
by Rick Remender and John Cassaday
The Marvel Universe's
greatest era starts NOW!, as the all-new, all-different Avengers
assemble! Captain America creates a sanctioned Avengers unit comprised
of Avengers and X-Men, humans and mutants working together...so why is
Professor Xavier's dream more at risk than ever? The Red Skull has
returned - straight out of the 1940s and full of hatred - and his
rebirth will alter the Marvel Universe forever! What are the Skull's new
powers? Can Havok and Thor defeat the spreading influence of Honest
John, The Living Propaganda? As Rogue and Scarlet Witch find themselves
trapped on the Isle of the Red Skull's S-Men, Wolverine and Captain
America investigate the worldwide mutant assassination epidemic! Uncanny
Avengers Assemble! Plus: from the ashes of AvX, the funeral of one of
Marvel's greatest heroes!
COLLECTING: Uncanny Avengers 1-5
ARE YOU MY MOTHER?
by Alison Bechdel
From the best-selling author of Fun Home, Time magazine’s
No. 1 Book of the Year, a brilliantly told graphic memoir of Alison
Bechdel becoming the artist her mother wanted to be.
Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home
was a pop culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a second thrilling tale
of filial sleuthery, this time about her mother: voracious reader,
music lover, passionate amateur actor. Also a woman, unhappily married
to a closeted gay man, whose artistic aspirations simmered under the
surface of Bechdel's childhood . . . and who stopped touching or kissing
her daughter good night, forever, when she was seven. Poignantly,
hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for answers concerning the
mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered search that leads readers
from the fascinating life and work of the iconic twentieth-century
psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to one explosively illuminating Dr.
Seuss illustration, to Bechdel’s own (serially monogamous) adult love
life. And, finally, back to Mother—to a truce, fragile and real-time,
that will move and astonish all adult children of gifted mothers.
DANCE IN THE VAMPIRE BUND, VOL. 14
by Nozomu Tamaki
The final volume in the #1 New York Times bestselling manga series!
has finally been freed from captivity, and Akira has awakened to a new,
powerful force inside him. Now, the battle to take back the Bund has
begun. Mass panic over the vampire pandemic grips Tokyo, and Mina’s
friends are surrounded by violent mobs. Can Mina reach her friends and
subjects in time in order to save them?
Top 5 Graphic Novels:
1. ACTION COMICS, VOL. 2, by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales
2. UNCANNY AVENGERS, VOL. 1, by Rick Remender and John Cassaday
3. THE JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS, VOL. 2, by Jack Kirby
4. 100 BULLETS: DELUXE EDITION, BOOK FOUR, by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso
5. RAVEN GIRL, by Audrey Niffenegger
1. THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM, VOL. 1, by Robert Kirkman and others
2. THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM, VOL. 2, by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard
3. SAGA, VOL. 1, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
4. SMILE, by Raina Telgemeier
5. THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS, VOL. 2, by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra
1. NARUTO, VOL. 61, by Masashi Kishimoto
2. DANCE IN THE VAMPIRE BUND, VOL. 14, by Nozomu Tamaki
3. BLACK BIRD, VOL. 16, by Kanoko Sakurakoji
4. BAKUMAN, VOL. 19, by Takeshi Obata
5. POKEMON ADVENTURES, VOL. 16, by Hidenori Kusaka
Disclaimer: All list come from NYTimes.com, all blurbs come from Goodreads.com.