This Week's Spotlight:
THAT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!
by Mo Willems
That Is Not a Good Idea! is a hilarious, interactive picture book from bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems, the creator of books like Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, the Knuffle Bunny series, the Elephant and Piggie series, Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs, and many other new classics. Inspired by the evil villains and innocent damsels of silent movies, Willems tells the tale of a hungry fox who invites a plump goose to dinner. As with the beloved Pigeon books, kids will be calling out the signature refrain and begging for repeated readings. The funny details in the full-color illustrations by three-time Caldecott Honoree Mo Willems will bring nonstop laughter to story time.
SAVING THE TEAM
by Alex Morgan
From star soccer player and Olympic gold medalist Alex Morgan comes the first book in an empowering, fun-filled middle grade series about believing in yourself and working as a team.Twelve-year-old Devin loves to play soccer. If she hadn’t just left Connecticut to move across the country, she would have been named seventh-grade captain on her school soccer team.
But now that Devin is starting seventh grade in Kentville, California, all bets are off. After all, some of the best players on the US national team come from California. She’s sure to have stiff competition. Or so she thinks.
When Devin shows up for tryouts, she discovers that the Kentville Kangaroos—otherwise known as the Kicks—are an absolute mess. Their coach couldn’t care less whether the girls win or lose. And Devin is easily one of the most talented players.
The good news is, Devin quickly makes friends with funny, outgoing Jessi; shy but sweet Zoe; and klutzy Emma. Can Devin and her newfound friends pull together and save the team from itself?
THE 5TH WAVE
by Rick Yancey
The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.
Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.
Top 5 Children's Books:
- POEMS TO LEARN BY HEART, by Caroline Kennedy. Illustrated by Jon J Muth
- GOODNIGHT, GOODNIGHT, CONSTRUCTION SITE, by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld
- STEAM TRAIN, DREAM TRAIN, by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld
- THAT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!, by Mo Willems
- FANCY NANCY: FANCIEST DOLL IN THE UNIVERSE, by Jane O'Connor. Illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser
- WONDER, by R. J. Palacio
- A HIDDEN ENEMY, by Erin Hunter
- THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN, by Katherine Applegate
- LEGO NINJAGO CHARACTER ENCYCLOPEDIA, by Claire Sipi
- THE CARE AND KEEPING OF YOU 1, by Valorie Schaefer. Illustrated by Josee Masse
- THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, by John Green
- THE 5TH WAVE, by Rick Yancey
- DIVERGENT, by Veronica Roth
- INSURGENT, by Veronica Roth
- THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER, by Stephen Chbosky
- THE HUNGER GAMES, by Suzanne Collins
- THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS, by Cassandra Clare
- DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, written and illustrated by Jeff Kinney
- BIG NATE, written and illustrated by Lincoln Peirce
- BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Disclaimer: All blurbs come from Goodreads.com, all lists come from NYTimes.com.