Friday, April 5, 2013

Hexed


By JccKeith

Recently, I was excited to order a few new books from Amazon. Two were by the same author.  I liked the author.  I liked the way he wrote.  The other book I liked the description and I also liked the way the author wrote.  Lesson learned.  Just because I like the way an author writes a few lines does not mean I will love their work.

These other books, I have been struggling to read for a week now.  The content is so boring I find after a few paragraphs I have already mentally tuned out.  I have to read the same lines over and over to retain any comprehension whatsoever and even then I don’t care.  They have already lost my interest and are working their way downstairs to my spare bookcase.

But this is my blog of the week so on to something more positive.  I received another book today.  After my disappointment over the last few books, I tossed it casually aside for a later read.  Besides, I have other things more pressing to read anyway.  But then something miraculous happened.  This book was on my way outside tonight.
I had to let the dog out to do her business.  I thought, eh, I’ll pick up this book on my way out and give it a go, at least the first few pages while I wait for the dog.  I glanced at the cover, glanced at the inside to see if it was the first book in the series (it is not) and went about reading the first page.

I was astounded at how much I liked it.  Before the dog had finished her business, I was already a few pages into this book.  It was witty, well written and a real page turner.  It certainly does not belong among mentions of my dog’s business.  So enough of that chatter.

This is not, by the way, a review.  I haven’t finished the book yet.  I just started it but I already know I’ll finish it in the next day or so.  It is so good I can’t wait to read the next one already in the mail.  The next one is actually the first in the series, this book just happened to arrive first.  I ordered them at the same time.

Without further ado, I will offer what I do know of the book so far.  The author is Kevin Hearne and the book title, the one I’m currently reading, is HexedHexed is the second book of the Iron Druid Chronicles

How did I come across this book I am now so enamored with?  Well it was an accident really.  I typed in fantasy on Amazon.  Then I saw the word Druid and that is usually a good sign.  So I thought I would try my hand at ordering this book without researching it or its reviews.  It has since restored my faith in random book ordering.  Which I will now not have to do for a while since there are six books in the Iron Druid Chronicles. 

Anyway, that is all I have to say about that – for now.  In the meantime, I’ll be reading.  

2 comments: