Monday, April 15, 2013

Doctor Who A Show Defense.

Or How I Got So Annoyed At An Article Clearly Written By A David Tennnant Fan.

By: Wiiliam G. Muir
When I rolled out of bed this morning I had a few goals in mind. Which I have to say is a very rare event, most days I tend to let events unfold as they will. As I made my way to check and see if there were any leftovers from last nights dinner (tacos) I decided that I try and work on at least two chapters of the book I am working on. Watch last nights episode of The Mentalist and the Doctor Who episode The Rings of Akhaten (so I can write a review on it). I was also going to work on my article for the A-Z Challenge and Who's On Top post.

What I hadn't planned on doing today was writing a smackdown critique of another blogger. For the most part I am not a critic. I believe people have the right to their opinions, and sure I will either think they make sense or the person is just a big idiot. But I am not really going waste my time responding to them online.   

I have a hard enough time trying to write the few review I do for this site as it is. I am sure not going to take on the unneeded task of taking on some stranger who spouts out their nonsense online. I say let them have their opinions and I will leave them to it as long as they afford me the same courtesy .



That was until I check my Facebook messages and I found a link to an article called, Why the 11th Doctor Who Sucks at the I Hate Quiet blog.

I only had to get a few sentences into this article before I knew I had to shred it to pieces. This person clearly has a bias towards David Tennant's Doctor. It is write there in the second paragraph.

So 11th Doctor, written by show-runner Steven Moffat.  Gone is the happy-go-lucky David Tenant and in is the brooding psychotic god of the universe Matt Smith.

Look how Jester Jarriet  describes the two Doctors (and notice how he neglects the other Doctors here. A show that has been on the air for almost 50 years now and has had eleven different actors to play the role. And he is just going to compare these two. I can't help but seeing someone that is bitter that their favorite Doctor is no longer on the show.) He uses the friendlier happy-go-lucky to describe David Tennant's Doctor, while he uses the poisoned phrase brooding psychotic god of the universe to dismiss Matt Smith's Doctor.

To say the 10th Doctor was happy-go-lucky is to have watched his time in the spotlight through rose colored glasses. The 10th Doctor could get quite emo at times. He spent at least two season moping over the lose of Rose. In Family of Blood when John Smith is confronted with the fact that he is the Doctor and holds the fop watch get's a glimpse of who the Doctor is, he doesn't want to become that man.

Falling in love? That didn't even occur to him?

And what sort of man is that? And now you expect me to die?

Nurse Redfern had this to say to the Doctor.

He was braver than you, in the end. That ordinary man. You chose to change. He chose to die.

In the episode New Earth we are suppose to infer that the Lonely god Novice Hame is talking about is the Doctor. And let us not forget the sulking the Doctor does in the final two part episode The End of Time.

I can still die. If I'm killed before regeneration then I'm dead. Even then. Even if I change, it feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away. And I'm dead.

That's how The Master started. It's not like I'm an innocent. I've taken lives. I got worse— I got clever. Manipulated people into taking their own. Sometimes I think a Time Lord lives too long.

Well exactly! Look at you. Not remotely important! But me? I could do so much more! So much more! But this is what I get. My reward. Well it's not fair! Oh... I've lived too long. 

And if all that is not enough, just before the 10th regenerates he whimpers that he doesn't want to go. All that crap about a Time Lord living to long yet at the end he is desperately trying to hold. That is just sad. None of his previous incarnations faced their end like that. Each of the nine Doctor's before David Tennant's faced their regeneration with a sense of nobility. The 10th was a coward at the end.   

I will admit the 11th Doctor is a much darker character than the 10th, but I think that is because the 11th Doctor is much more a realist than the 10th Doctor ever was. The reality of the situation is that Doctor faces beings that wish to destroy anything from a village, to a planet to the entire universe on a regular basis. If you can go through all that and still have a happy-go-lucky personality there is something seriously messed up in your head.

If you made this far I am going to now to get into destroying his whole argument, which should not be difficult seeing how flawed it is. Maybe if Jester Jarriet had paid closer attention he would not have embarrassed himself so needlessly. 

Sidebar: The name of the show is Doctor Who. This is a question, not the name of the character. The character is simply know as the Doctor.

Jarriet builds his case on why he thinks the 11th Doctor sucks on four episodes. The Pandorica Opens, A Good Man Goes To War, The Wedding of River Song and The Assylum of the Daleks.

The first thing I notice right off the bat is that the he has the name one of the wrong episode. Or more to the point he only makes passing reference to the TARDIS blowing up in at the end of The Pandorica Opens. Most of what of what he argues against here happens in the episode of The Big Bang. Granted it is a two part episode, but only by the mere fact that one is the continuation of the other. But they are in essence their own episodes. 

This following statement is the foundation for much of Jarriet argument in this post. The only problem is, it is in correct. And by being incorrect it invalidates everything else.

...and the Doctor uses his prison to fuse to the Tardis, finish detonating, and then re-build the universe from his memories. The Doctor makes statements that Amy Pond's memories are the source of the new universe that is created.

If you go to his blog you will notice that he never show a video clip, or quotes the episode. He just make these assertions with nothing to back them up. This might be fine for the casual fan of the show, or somebody that has never seen it before. But I am a longtime die hard fan. I notice that he has gotten everything incorrect here. To prove what I am saying I will now post the conversation that took place on how the Doctor planned on restoring the universe. From PlanetClaire.com

The Doctor: How can that Dalek even exist? It was erased from time and then it came back. How?  
Amy: You said the light from the Pandorica.  
The Doctor: It's not a light, it's a restoration field, but never mind! Call it a light. That light brought 
Amy back, restored her. But how could it bring back a Dalek when the Daleks have never existed?  
Amy: Okay. Tell us.  
The Doctor: When the TARDIS blew up it caused a total event collapse—a time explosion. And that 
explosion blasted every atom in every moment of the Universe except...  
Amy: Except inside the Pandorica.  
The Doctor: The perfect prison. And inside it perfectly preserved a few billion atoms of the Universe as it was. In theory you could extrapolate the whole Universe from a single one of them, like, like cloning a body from a single cell. And we've got the bumper family pack.  
Rory: Nope. Nope. Too fast. I'm not getting it.  
The Doctor: The box contains a memory of the Universe and the light transmits the memory and that's how we're going to do it.  
Amy: Do what?  
The Doctor: Relight the fire. Reboot the Universe. Come on!  
River: Doctor, you're being completely ridiculous. The Pandorica partially restored one Dalek. If it can't even reboot a single lifeform properly how is it going to reboot the whole of reality?  
The Doctor: What if we give it a moment of infinite power? What if we can transmit the light from the Pandorica to every particle of space and time simultaneously?  
River: Well that would be lovely, dear, but we can't. Because it's completely impossible.  
The Doctor: Ah, no. you see. It's not. It's almost completely impossible. One spark is all we need.  
River: For what?  
The Doctor: Big Bang II! Now listen—

Now let us see... No mention mention whatsoever about memories being the source of the universe being restored. Instead the Doctor clearly states that the universe could be rebooted from just one atom that had been trapped inside the Pandorica when it was created. Well I guess technically he does state the atoms in the Pandorica were the memory of the universe before it was exploded. But there was nothing what so ever stated here about Amy's or the Doctor's memories being what was used to reboot the universe.

Now the Doctor does make a point of telling Amy how import it is for her to try and remember, but that is for two entirely different reasons. The first one being if she remember her parents, they will come back.

The Doctor: Amy Pond. The Girl Who Waited. All night in your garden. Was it worth it?  
Amy: Shut up. Of course it was.  
The Doctor: You asked me why I was taking you with me and I said, "no reason." I was lying.  
Amy: It's not important.  
The Doctor: Yeah, it's the most important thing left in the Universe. It's why I'm doing this. Amy, your house is too big. That big, empty house, just you.  
Amy: And Aunt Sharon.  
The Doctor: Where were your mom and dad? Where was everybody who lived in that big house?  
Amy: I lost my mom and dad.  
The Doctor: How? What happened to them? Where did they go?  
Amy: I— I don't...  
The Doctor: It's okay, it's okay. Don't panic. It's not your fault.  
Amy: I don't even remember.  
The Doctor: There's a crack in time in the wall of your bedroom. And it's been eating away at your life for a long time now. Amy Pond. All alone. The Girl Who Didn't Make Sense. How could I resist?  
Amy: I'm not going to just forget.  
The Doctor: Nothing is ever forgotten. Not really. But you have to try.  
River: Doctor! It's speeding up!  
The Doctor: It's going to be a very Big Bang, Big Bang II. Try to remember your family and they'll be there.  
Amy: How can I remember them if they never existed?  
The Doctor: Because you're special. That crack in your wall, all that time. The Universe pouring into your head. You brought Rory back. You can bring them back too. You just remember and they'll be there.  
Amy: You won't.  
The Doctor: You'll have your family back. You won't need your imaginary friend anymore. Amy Pond. Crying over me, eh? Guess what.  
Amy: What?  
The Doctor: Gotcha.

The other reason he want Amy to remember is so that she will pull him into the rebooted universe as well.

...realized that he can't be the creator of the universe if he doesn't actually exist.

The Doctor did not create the rebooted universe. Therefore he could not be the creator of  it. Plus being outside of a universe does not mean one does not exist. I would direct you the the Christian God. He is outside of the universe yet there are billions of Christians around world that claims he exist. Also the theory of multiverse posits that there are countless other universes outside of our own. If this theory is correct than those universe would exist. Just being outside the universe, like the Doctor would have been, does not mean one doesn't exist.

Fast forward to "A good man goes to war". The entire universe has decided that yet again they are sick of the Doctor's shit, so they kidnap Amy Pond so that her human/timelord hybrid daughter can be brainwashed into killing the Doctor.

The entire universe? Really? Do you have any proof to back that up?  I mean you say everybody, but what about Amy and Rory, they don't seem fed up with his shit. River does not seem at all upset with him. Dorium Maldovar, Commander Strax, Madame Vastra and Jenny Flint all seem perfectly willing to stand beside the Doctor. Madame Vastra even praises him at one point.

Not to mention this little tid-bit from the The Wedding of River Song:

Those reports of the sun spots and the solar flares. They're wrong. They're aren't any. It's not the sun. It's you. The sky is full of a million million voices, saying, "Yes of course. We'll help." You've touched so many lives, saved so many people. Did you think when your time came you'd really have to do more than just ask? You've decided that the universe is better off without you. But the universe doesn't agree.

For what you say to be true, you have to prove that every last individual in the universe was wanting to see the destruction of the Doctor. All I had to prove was that one person didn't. And I believe I have met my burden of proof, rendering your argument invalid once again.

Which, given that the Doctor created the universe and everyone in it, means that he always knew she was their daughter, even though in the episode he gets all angsty about it.

I have already proven that the Doctor was not the creator of the universe. Even if he was that does not mean he would know everything that takes place inside it. You would have to posit the Doctor was omniscient, which I think if you have viewed the show you would know that the Doctor, while he knows quite a bit, is not all knowing. Might I also reference the Christian God here. One of the traits often list for God is that he is omniscient yet in Genesis he didn't know that Adam and Eve had eaten from the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, or why they were frightened.

Another invalid point.

Following this, the Doctor has the brillant idea to erase all evidence of himself from the universe so that no-one will know who he is.
And here is where we get a massive paradox.
The doctor created the universe because of the Pandorica which was a trap designed for him because everyone in the universe was pissed at him.


The exploding Tardis also happened because of that event.


 If nobody ever knew that the Doctor existed, then they would have no reason to create a trap for him.

Alright I have already proved the whole universe wasn't pissed at the Doctor. What about that paradox?  Or should I ask what paradox? Jarriet seems to fail to grasp that being trapped inside of the Pandorica and the exploding TARDIS all took place in the universe that was destroyed. In this new universe the Doctor doesn't start existing to until Amy brings him back. So we have universe A that the Pandorica and The TARDIS exploding took place. Universe B we have the Doctor being erased from everybody's memories. Since we are dealing with two different universe here what happens in one does not necessarily mean it effects anything taking place in the other. And seeing how the first two events took place in a universe that is now dead (and we have no reason to believe that they took place in the new universe) there is no way the wiping away any knowledge of his existence would have cause the events in the universe A not to have happened.

And if you don't like that one, may I quote the 10th Doctor here:

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff.  

Once again an epic failing of logical thinking.

So we are left with a massive paradox. And the most obvious rule about time travel. I.E. DON'T FUCKING LET ANYONE KNOW THAT YOU ARE A TIME TRAVELER!!!

The other Doctors seemed to not have a problem with that. They hid their time-raping nature from the universe. Like, you know, a sane person. 


Here we are once again, the burden of proof of is your to show that there was not a single individual that did not know who any of the previous Doctors were or that they were not time travelers. And I am afraid you will not be able to do so, unless the Daleks, Cybermen, Sontaran or any of his other enemies did not know who he was. Opps they did. And if you want proof of this the 9th Doctor rattled off a couple different nicknames the Daleks had for him in The Parting of the Ways. In Forest of the Dead the 10th Doctor tells the Vashta Nedra to look him up in The Library.

Something tells me that Doctor has had trouble keeping his identity secret no matter which incarnation he might be in. Also I think that many of those that are pissed at him are not just pissed at the action of the 11th Doctor.

The Doctor and some of his enemies have been dancing partners for a long time now.

Epic...at this point do I even need to say it.

1 comment:

  1. And I replied back to you in the comments of my original post. http://ihatequiet.blogspot.com/2012/09/why-11th-doctor-who-sucks.html

    ReplyDelete