Saturday, April 13, 2013

Casting An Eye At the Pods: Lost in the Static/Radiodrome


By: William G. Muir

If I had written this post yesterday around this time it would have been full of words that one does say in polite society. As it is we are 24 hours removed from that time and I am feeling a little bit more charitable than I was yesterday. I am pretty sure I will be able to keep a civil tongue in my mouth as I discuss the latest entry in the ever expanding domain of WillseyeReviews.

Today we will be taking a look at the world of podcasting. I have several podcast that I listen to on a regular basis. Some of them are just actual radio show, such as The Tony Kornheisher Show, which is ESPN radio show that is rebroadcast daily as podcast. All though there is 24 hour daily for each episode. Some podcast are put out on a weekly basis. Some are weekly radio shows, others are put out by individuals that do all the work themselves, they are not backed by anybody. These are sort of like hobbies for these individuals. Other podcast either come out once a month or every couple of months. Whenever they can be squeezed into the podcasters schedule.
Because I believe in going big time when you going to do something, we are going dive head first into deep end of the podcasting pool and take a look at not one, but two shows. We are going to cast our eye at the Lost In The Static and Radiodrome podcast. The reason we are doing so is not for the shows themselves, I might look at them separately if ever I am in need for material. No what I want to look at here is the people involved with the show. Or just one particular person who is involved with both shows, Josh Hadley.

To best describe how I feel about Mr. Hadley let me quote myself, here is what I posted on my own Facebook page while listening to Josh.

I am listening podcast and I'm thinking I would really hate to live in this guy's world. He tries so hard to come off as all liberal, freethinking, counter-culture, nonconformist. Slapping down snobbery and pretentiousness wherever he sees it. But in reality this guy is the snobbiest, most pretentious, most conformist douche I have ever heard. He pisses me off every time I listen. Yet I continue to listen. What does that say about me?

Now I have to admit that I know next to nothing about Josh Hadley. The things I do know about him I have learned through the podcasts, at least the ones that I could finish. I have learned enough to know that I would categorize him as what I would call a pseudo-intellectual. Josh is someone who has enough knowledge to think he knows more than he actually does. I have gathered that Mr. Hadley was educated at the school of hard knocks. Not that one needs to go beyond a high school education to be wise, but I think in the case of Mr. Hadley he could have greatly benefited from a few college courses.

The other day I tried to listen to the most recent episode that was on itunes. It was all about the “Dumb.” I got about five minutes into the show before I had to click off of it. In that amount of time I heard more stupidity coming out of Josh's mouth than any examples of the “Dumb” he was going to bring up in the course of the next forty-nine minutes. Why do people not read intellectual works. Why are people like Honey Boo Boo better known than the scientist working on a cure for AIDS. Why...blah, blah, blah. In that five minutes all he did was whine.

Let me try to answer some of these question for you, Josh. Not everybody is meant to be, not everybody can be a great thinker. We all find ourselves falling along a spectrum of intelligence. For some people the gathering and processing of knowledge comes easier to them than it does others. For some people, through no fault of their own, they struggle to understand concepts beyond a high school education. Just because one group has an easier time of it than the other, that does not make them better.

The reason that the scientist working on the cure for AIDS are not know by the public could have something to do with the fact that a) there are just so many of them around the world that it would be unfair to just pick out a half dozen at random. The other reason that these scientist are not better know is because instead of going out and seeking fame they are hard at work trying to discover a cure for AIDS. Scientist go into their fields not because they wish to get to get famous. They get into it because that is what they love to do. Plus they are their to help mankind.

The reason people like Honey Boo Boo are better known is because these type of people actively go out and look for fame. They are constantly putting themselves out their in hopes of being recognized. These people must believe that fame will fix whatever it is that is broken or missing in their lives. If that is true than that is much more pitiful than the public at large wanting to see a train wreck.

And believe me that is why people watch these reality shows. They are all looking for that Lee Harvey Oswald getting shot by Jack Ruby live on television moment.

What other reason can I give you for not liking this guy. Here is one, he spent an entire episode complaining about the disappearance of the video store. The way he made it sound the American public was losing one of its greatest national treasure. Instead of business that came and went in the blink of the eye. He actually said that the kids today will never know what it was like...You want to know what Josh, you know who else didn't know what it was like, generations that came before you. Besides it just a video store. It's not;ike they were closing down the Lourve, the Great Wall of China or the Statue of Liberty.

I think I am going to stop here. If I write one more thing that bugs me about Josh Hadley I will be writing at least a thousand more things.

Would I recommended these podcast to anyone, no, no I wouldn't. There is nothing unique about these podcast. If you wish to here shows about the Indie scene you can find it being done by countless other people. And I would be willing to bet that those other people are doing it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment