Sunday, April 7, 2013

April Cover Extravaganza: The Man Who Never Was

The Man Who Never Was

By Olga Nunez Miret


The protagonist, Jesús, is ugly. Extraordinarily ugly. He is so ugly that his friends and relatives are convinced that behind that ugliness there must be something else. A malefic power or possiblyr a momentous fate. The truth is that fairly special things happen wherever Jesús is. His biological father is a mystery. He only manages to discover that he seems to have fathered quite a few other extremely ugly boys like him during his career. His sister (half-sister) is a child-prodigy who excels at everything she does (writing, career in foreign relations, acting…), his mother becomes the president of the country, his own bank is successful, his best-friend Vero is a computer tycoon, his brother-in-law also makes it in politics...But for all the success and money around him he still feels unsettled. He tries sports, banking, cinema but nothing provides the answers he wants. Who was his father? This is a family saga where everything goes: from politics to retirement homes, from sport to cinema, from adultery to incest but nothing is taken too seriously.
If you enjoyed Isabel Allende’s ‘House of the Spirits’ and love ‘The West Wing’, combined with a touch of comedy, this is your book



About The Author:

I thought I’d tell you a bit about how I came to write the first novel I’ve published The Man Who Never Was. I’ve always loved books, reading and writing. I’m originally from Barcelona, Spain, but I’ve lived in the UK for many years now. When I was in my  late teens, back in Spain, Central and South American authors were very popular, and in particular those who wrote in the genre of Magic Realism (were quite unusual things happen to perfectly, at least in the surface, normal people). I had been reading a few of them, but particularly liked Isabel Allende’s House of the Spirits (I’ve read and liked many of her books since).
My writing method, particularly for short fiction, but sometimes also for longer pieces, tends to be some idea that comes to my head, many times of the type ‘What would happen if?’ If the idea sticks to my mind for a while and keeps getting more and more detailed I eventually have to give up and write about it. I don’t always finish all such stories, and sometimes I start something else and later come back to them, but…In the case of The Man Who Never Was I thought about this home birth, where the baby born is very, very ugly. He’s so ugly that when his grandmother sees him she can’t help but shout ‘Jesús, he looks like the devil!’ And because of that, the boy is named Jesús. Nobody knows who the father is and everybody believes that with such a face there must be some special fate awaiting him. I got down to writing (typing, on a manual typewriter, those were the days) the story (in Spanish) and it ended up being a family saga of sorts, with not only Jesús, his mother, grandparents and his generation, but also his children and those of his friends and family. It was quite a compact story (around 50 pages or so). I think I showed it to some of my relatives and friends and that was that.

Many years later I found it at my parents. I re-read it and thought it might be worth developing into a full-sized novel. I typed it into the computer, and wrote a novel developing the original story, this time in English. Once I finished it and edited it, I decided it deserved to go back to the original Spanish and I translated it. ‘El hombre que nunca existió’.

After all that it lived in my computer for a while. Eventually in October last year I decided to try self-publishing and I wanted to try to publish the same book both in Spanish and English. I decided The Man was quite a unique book and deserved a chance.

I leave you the official description and some links.

'The Man Who Never Was' is humorous take on family sagas and political intrigue, populated with unforgettable characters and extraordinary events.

The protagonist, Jesús, is ugly. Extraordinarily ugly. He is so ugly that his friends and relatives are convinced that behind that ugliness there must be something else. A malefic power or possibly a momentous fate. The truth is that fairly special things happen wherever Jesús is. His biological father is a mystery. He only manages to discover that he seems to have fathered quite a few other extremely ugly boys like him during his career. His sister (half-sister) is a child-prodigy who excels at everything she does (writing, career in foreign relations, acting…), his mother becomes the president of the country, his own bank is successful, his best-friend Vero is a computer tycoon, his brother-in-law also makes it in politics...But for all the success and money around him he still feels unsettled. He tries sports, banking, cinema but nothing provides the answers he wants. Who was his father? This is a family saga where everything goes: from politics to retirement homes, from sport to cinema, from adultery to incest but nothing is taken too seriously.

This is one of a kind book, a true original that defies easy definition or categorisation. It is a unique read, that will make you laugh, touch you, and will have you engaged and guessing. And let's not forget the mystery at its heart.

If the characters of 'The Simpsons' walked into the set of ‘The West Wing’ their adventures would be right at home in this novel. With its mixture of Magic Realism and Political Satire this is a novel you won't easily forget.

 Dare to break conventions! Read outside of the box! You won't regret it. 

Thanks and I hope you go and have a look.


The Man Who Never Was

El hombre que nunca existió

My author page in Amazon is:

My website is:

If you want to contact me via Facebook, my author page is:

And I have a book trailer for ‘The Man’ that you can check:

No comments:

Post a Comment