Sunday, April 7, 2013

A-Z Challenge: G is for Going For It


By JccKeith

There comes a point in writing when you have to make a commitment.  Maybe no one else has this problem but I find myself half heartedly writing things sometimes.  For whatever reason I am just not invested in the writing.  It could be because I feel that maybe it won’t be received well by others.  In that case I don’t want to waste too much time or work too hard on it.  Then if it fails I can always say, oh well, it wasn’t my best work, I didn’t try that hard. 

The problem is, if I don’t put everything I have into the work, it is destined to fail.  I have to give 100% of my creativity, my effort and my personality to the work.  If I don’t I might as well quit.  There is no point in doing anything not worth doing.  As the saying goes, “Anything worth doing is worth doing well.”

So today, as I was taking out an old shelf and replacing it with a new one, I was contemplating this problem.  Why would I only half put effort into writing something?  It is silly.  If the reason is because I’m not really interested in the subject then I might as well quit.  I need that fire to keep writing.  Why write about a subject I have no passion for anyway? 
Even on those rare occasions where I am forced to write about something that does not interest me – due to assignments or favors for others or whatever – I have to go for it.  I have to put my twist on it.  Have to do it my way and to the best of my ability.  Writing can only be great; can only be successful when I gave it my best. 

I say this last part because even if others like my work, even if it were very popular, the feeling of success would not be there for me.  If I produce something others like that’s wonderful.  But success, real success comes not from necessarily writing popular works but from giving it everything you have.  If you do your best and you complete your writing then you have succeeded. 

So don’t hold back, just go for it.

2 comments:

  1. We shouldn't quit or expect perfection - just do our best to complete the task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this is so true. It's terrifying to go all in but sometimes it's just what you need to do.

    ReplyDelete