Friday, March 29, 2013
Who's On Top: Graphic Novels 3/29/13
This Weeks Spotlight:
HAND-DRYING IN AMERICA AND OTHER STORIES
By: Ben Katchor
From one of the most original and imaginative American cartoonists at work today comes a collection of graphic narratives on the subjects of urban planning, product design, and architecture—a surrealist handbook for the rebuilding of society in the twenty-first century.
Ben Katchor, a master at twisting mundane commodities into surreal objects of social significance, now takes on the many ways our property influences and reflects cultural values. Here are window-ledge pillows designed expressly for people-watching and a forest of artificial trees for sufferers of hay fever. The Brotherhood of Immaculate Consumption deals with the matter of products that outlive their owners; a school of dance is based upon the choreographic motion of paying with cash; high-visibility construction vests are marketed to lonely people as a method of getting noticed. With cutting wit Katchor reveals a world similar to our own—lives are defined by possessions, consumerism is a kind of spirituality—but also slightly, fabulously askew. Frequently and brilliantly bizarre, and always mesmerizing, Hand-Drying in America ensures that you will never look at a building, a bar of soap, or an ATM the same way.
By: Raina Telgemeier
From the artist of BSC Graphix comes this humorous coming-of-age true story about the dental drama that ensues after a trip-and-fall mishap.
Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth. What follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly.
DEMON LOVE SPELL, VOL. 2
By: Mayu Shinjo
Miko is a shrine maiden who has never had much success at seeing or banishing spirits. Then she meets Kagura, a sexy demon who feeds off women’s feelings of passion and love. Kagura’s insatiable appetite has left many girls at school brokenhearted, so Miko casts a spell to seal his powers. Surprisingly the spell works—sort of—but now Kagura is after her! Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for teen plus audiences.
Top 5 Graphic Novels:
1. KICK-ASS 2 PRELUDE: HIT-GIRL - By: Mark Millar And John Romita Jr.
2. THE WALKING DEAD, BOOK 1 - By: Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore And Charlie Adlard
3. AVENGERS: SEASON ONE - By: Peter David And Others
4. BATMAN: NIGHT OF THE OWLS - By: Scott Snyder And Others
5. HAND-DRYING IN AMERICA AND OTHER STORIES - Ben Katchor
1. THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM, VOL. 1 - By: Robert Kirkman And Others
2. THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM, VOL. 2 - By: Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard
3. THE WALKING DEAD, VOL. 17 - By: Robert Kirkman And Charlie Adlard
4. SAGA, VOL. 1 - By: Brian K. Vaughan And Fiona Staples
5. THE WALKING DEAD, VOL. 1 - By: Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore
1. ONE PIECE, VOL. 66 - By: Eiichiro Oda
2. BAKUMAN, VOL. 18 - By: Tsugumi Ohba
3. DEMON LOVE SPELL, VOL. 2 - By: Mayu Shinjo
4. ROSARIO+VAMPIRE SEASON II, VOL. 11 - By: Akihisa Ikeda
5. YU-GI-OH! ZEXAL, VOL. 2 - By: Kazuki Takahashi
Disclaimer: All blurbs are from Goodreads.com, all list come from NYTimes.com.