Monday, March 25, 2013

Creativity Bites

By JccKeith


Take a bow
Solemn cow
Your spots, they are morose
Just as is your ghost

You cannot eat the grass
That lingers at your feet
You can only share the past
That strangers sometimes eat



It's What They Said Monday.  I found this great quote by Sylvia Plath about writing:


"And by the way everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.  The worst enemy to creativity is self doubt"

While I can appreciate Ms. Plath's view, I can also disagree.  You see, I was sitting around last night trying to get to sleep when something came to me.  It was the beginnings of a tid bit of poetry.  It was so persistent I got out of bed to grab a pencil and scribble it down. 

As I began typing last night's poetry onto the laptop, I realized it wasn't all that great.  Sure it rhymed and sure it was decent - it just wasn't anything worth posting online.  Then I began researching quotes about writing for tonight's What They Said post.  I found Plath's quote.

As soon as I read it, I thought how it should have inspired me.  It was reminiscent of a conversation I had last night about people writing their life story.  What do they call those, autobiographies?  Personally, if your
life story is tragic and emotionally or physically devastating then it takes courage to share it with others.

Concerning the first part of the quote, I agree.  It was the second sentence I had a problem with - the part about how self doubt is the enemy of creativity.  It is and it isn't.  If you are a gifted writer or editor then perhaps your self doubt is based on valid reasoning.  Maybe your work isn't good enough.

It is possible.  Lots of writers write crappy stuff.  I have seen some doozies published by big name publishing houses.  Some are so terrible I wonder if they paid someone off to get signed with the publisher.  I didn't write this post to dig into other writer's possible lack of skills.  Far from it.  

I am writing to point out that creativity is not equivalent to success or production of genius works of literature.  Creativity is just creativity, the concept of creating things whether they are literature, art, music, whatever.  Just because you can create doesn't mean you should.

To illustrate my point I will enlighten you with a little poetry.  I created it.  It is original.  I am one creative mofo.  My poem speaks existentially about a figure who appears to be a cow standing upon the grass.  Is he really a cow?  Do his spots really exist?  Is he a ghost?  Can he not partake of grass or can he not partake of life?  

I seriously did not consider any of those questions when I wrote it. It was just some silly phrases that came to my mind when I was debating the idea of creativity.  I figured, hey it rhymes and is consistent - viola! Poetry!  And not just any poetry, cow poetry.  Oh yeah.

Without further ado, here is my brilliant poetry in case you missed it at the beginning of this post: 

Take a bow
Solemn cow
Your spots, they are morose
Just as is your ghost

You cannot eat the grass
That lingers at your feet
You can only share the past
That strangers sometimes eat


For those who read the beginning, I was stricken last night with a great deal of pain from an abscessed tooth.  I was also stricken with a little poetic musings.  So I wrote it down.  It has nothing to do with cows.  It's about winter vs spring and summer.  Inspired, it was, by the retaking of my area by winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment