Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Being Less Ordinary


By JccKeith

“To be alone is the fate of all great minds- a fate deplored at times, but still always chosen as the less grievous of two evils.” 
-Arthur Schopenhauer

I truly believe Mr. Schopenhauer is correct.  Great minds often do end up alone.  It is the burden of greatness.  One has to be willing to be alone to achieve great things.

By this I mean that although it may be true that great minds think alike.  I also believe great minds think alone. 
Nothing extraordinary was ever achieved by sheep.  Those who go with the flow, who keep the straight and narrow rarely ever see anything beyond the tail of whomever it is they follow.  It is fine if you feel the need to follow rather than lead.  Not everyone is a leader.

Not everyone is willing to brave the new and unseen.  Not everyone has the will and the endurance to stick it out.  To be different requires some bravery.  To stand out from the crowd requires the willingness to be noticed and not always for the right reasons.  To be great requires courage.

This post is not about being an individual.  This post was inspired by another writer who wrote about things not to do as a writer.  In Creative Writing Tips: More DON’Tsfor Writing a Novel, Victoria Grefer talks about not being afraid to do something different.

Writing for me is about putting my thoughts on paper.  I don’t sit down thinking oh I’m going to try to write like the great author so and so.  Alright I do but only for a few minutes.  I sit down thinking I would love to write like H.P. Lovecraft or Anne Rice or Terry Brooks but I can’t.

The truth is once I start writing I forget all about those writers. If I write for longer than a few minutes I find my voice. My weirdness comes out.  My version of reality finds its way onto the page.  I realize that as much as I would like to follow in the footsteps of these trailblazing authors, if I did I would still be following.

I’m not much on following.  I am also not much on leading others.  I am, however, all about finding my own way.  I have come to the conclusion that as much as I would love to fit in at times, most times I don’t.  This is not a problem as it gives me plenty of material to write from.  I am happy to share my misadventures in writing and life with anyone who will listen.  I am happy if it gives them a laugh. 

I enjoy the simple act of writing.  I know without a doubt that what I write is different.  I have tried in the past to edit and make it fit more into a standard mold but no more.  I am finding just how important having a unique voice is. I don’t have any awards or NY Times best-selling books to prove my point but that doesn’t make me any less right.


No comments:

Post a Comment