From the New York Times best Seller List for 2/17 - 2/24/13, Children's Books. In the Spotlight this week. Children's Picture Books - A story about a fish wearing a hat; Children's Middle Grade - The story about a Gorilla living in a mall and the baby elephant he befriends; Children's Series - A story set in the south and a young woman with a secret; Young Adult - A story about an awkward teenager a trying to make it through high school life. Also this weeks Top 5 lists.
Children's Picture Books:
This Is Not My Hat
By: Jon Klassen
When a tiny fish shoots
into view wearing a round blue topper (which happens to fit him
perfectly), trouble could be following close behind. So it's a good
thing that enormous fish won't wake up. And even if he does, it's not
like he'll ever know what happened...
Visual humor swims to the fore as the best-selling Jon Klassen follows his breakout debut with another deadpan-funny tale.
Children's Middle Grade:
The One And Only Ivan
By: Katherine Applegate
Ivan is an easygoing
gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has
grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his
domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever
thinks about it at all.
Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s
seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a
stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste
of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.
he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes
Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives,
change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the
Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create
Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship,
art, and hope
By: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Lena Duchannes is
unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's
struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her
family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky
swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot
stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months
until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful
girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most
infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined
to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
By: Stephen Chbosky
And while he's not the
biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy,
introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a
wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run
Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through
uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family
dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror
Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect
drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever.
Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there
comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to
those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up
Top 5 List
Children's Picture Books
1. Emeraldalicious - By: Victoria Kann
2. Tea Time With Sophia Grace And Rosie - By: Sophia Grace Brownlee and Rosie McClelland. Illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
3. This Is Not My Hat - By: Jon Klassen
4. The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart - By: Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton.
Illustrated by Christine Davenier
5. Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site - By: Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tim Litchtenheld
Children's Middle Grade:
1. The One And Only Ivan - By: Katherine Applegate
2. Wonder - By: R. J. Palacio
3. I Funny - By: James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein
4. Bomb - By: Steve Sheinkin
5. The Colossus Rises - Peter Lerangis
1. Beautiful Creatures - By: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
2. The Hunger Games - By: Suzanne Collins
3. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid - By: Jeff Kinney
4. Big Nate - By: Lincoln Peirce
5. Heroes Of Olympus - By: Rick Riordan
1. The Fault In Our Stars - By: John Green
2. The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - By: Stephen Chbosky
3. Divergent - By: Veronica Roth
4. Scarlet - By: Marissa Meyer
5. Insurgent - By: Veronica Roth
Disclaimer: All blurbs come from Goodreads.com. All list come from NYTimes.com.