Monday, January 21, 2013

What They Said Monday


“You can’t walk out on your own story.”  - The Clint Eastwood-like character in Rango

By JccKeith

It is true that you can’t walk out on your own story.  You also can’t change what has already been written.  Not really.  You can alter your own memories and you can lie about what has already happened but it doesn’t change the facts. 

What you can do is decide what to write next.  You can decide how your story will go from now on until it’s over.  And yes, it will, someday, be finished.  That is also something you can’t change.  Nobody lives forever – well nobody except vampires, immortals, liches, some elves and gods.  If you happen to be one of them, then I stand corrected.  I also happen to have the name of a few good doctors you might consult on the issue of your being immortal.

For the rest of us who live in the real world, most of the time, there comes a point in life where you have to look around, take stock of your life and decide where to go from there.  If you had dreams of achievement you need to decide whether to continue pursuing those or give them up entirely.  Chasing dreams which are no longer important just because you have always chased them is useless. 

Aside from evaluating your priorities and overall direction in life you also have to decide on an action.  Too many people are willing to sit back and let life happen to them and then deal with the consequences.  That is not the same as writing your own story.  Writing your own story involves action on your part.  You have to move forward towards your goal not just relax and go with the flow.  You will never get where you want to be by allowing the general flow of things to take you there.

Alright, enough of this attempt at motivation.  I am exhausted and it would seem not in the right frame of mind to offer any inspiring words of wisdom.  I might also add that I’m watching Braveheart by Mel Gibson while I’m typing. To say the least, I feel my skills pale in comparison to that of Wiliam Wallace by way of stirring people to action.  Yes, yes, I realize the movie is not a depiction of exact facts but it has an effect nonetheless.


This entire post came about sometime in the wee hours of the morning as I lay in my bed not sleeping.  I was not sleeping because I was contemplating the extreme throbbing pain in my head.  This horrific and persistent pain in my head had begun at 2:00 in the afternoon.  All of a sudden I was stricken with an inexplicable pain behind my eye.  Being without an Imitrex shot to relieve this sudden migraine and it being a Sunday I knew immediately that I was screwed.  Had it been a weekday I could have called the doctor’s office and gotten a refill prescription, as my current prescription is out as I never think about it until I need it.  But it was Sunday, the unreachable day for doctor’s offices.

Migraines for me mean I will be spending the rest of the day vomiting repeatedly as the pain worsens.  It’s my body’s crummy response to pain in my head.  I have no problem telling you that it totally sucks.  Normally I am lucky and the pain eventually goes away.  Yesterday I was not so lucky.  The pain did not go away and left me awake all night and well into this morning.

To occupy the long hours of pain, I ended up watching a couple of movies on Showtime.  First was Our Idiot Brother.  Could’ve done without ever having watched that movie.  It was long and only served to increase the pain in my head.  Then I watched Mallrats.  It surprisingly brought out some deeper thoughts on life.

I returned to bed in the hopes of sleep but ended up thinking about the meaning of life and our purpose in it.  I had to question, “How on earth did Shannon Doherty become famous?”  “What happened to Jason Lee, he was so funny and that show What About Earl? was really funny at first?”  “What about Kevin Smith, he can be so funny and yet sometimes not so much?”  Then I contemplated Ben Affleck’s career and his change in appearance.  “Is Ben Affleck as much of a star as Matt Damon or are they fairly equal?” “Why wasn’t Matt Damon in Mallrats?”  “Does Kevin Smith just like Ben Affleck better than Matt Damon?”

Thinking of Kevin Smith, the man behind the movies, I remembered that he produces that show Comic Book Men that comes on right after Walking Dead.  Those shows are on AMC.  Not too long ago, AMC was showing A Few Good Men repeatedly.  Kevin Bacon starred in A Few Good Men.  And there it was; the few degrees of separation between Kevin Smith and Kevin Bacon.  The universe once again made sense… because as everyone knows, everyone and everything can be connected to Kevin Bacon within six degrees of separation.

This six degrees of Kevin Bacon made me think of the number three.  The number three made me think of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly with Clint Eastwood.  Clint Eastwood brought to mind that character in Rango.  And just like that, I thought of that cool line that character says in the movie about how you can’t walk out on your own story. 

Hey, I never said my mind worked with straight lines or easily identified pathways to information.  It is a complicated, twisted place in there.  Believe me, the journey from Mallrats to Rango was an easy one.  Now, in the interest of offering some parting words of wisdom, let me quote Mel Gibson playing William Wallace, “Every man dies but not every man really lives.”

1 comment:

  1. Ѕuреrb blog! Do you have anу helpful
    hintѕ for aspiring writers? I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would уou adviѕe stаrting wіth a free plаtform like Wогdρгеѕs or go fоr
    a paiԁ option? Theгe аre so many options оut there
    that І'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!
    Also visit my web-site ; Loans for Bad Credit

    ReplyDelete