Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First & Last Pre-Review 1



FIRST & LAST
by Michala T. 

The first of the book and the last of the book are very key elements, in my opinion, of any novel. The first can either hook you in with talons, claws, or paws…depending on how gripping the opening sentence is. And the last sentence can either sink the boat and make you wish you had never suffered through the agonizing pain of such a book or the ending can dawdle in your mind, lingering over minutes, days, and if it’s a really good ending…weeks and months. Some amazing firsts cling to us, “It was the best of times…” and some endings live with us forever, “And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God bless us, every one!” It may not even be the First or the Last that sticks inside us…but they are the very elements that shoved us into a book and closed up a book with either tears of joy, sadness, or frustration. 
Now, I welcome you to the first edition of First & Last as I pre-review the next book I will be reading. 

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble: The Jolie Wilkins Series, Book 1
By H.P. Mallory

First:
It’s not every day you see a ghost.

I personally liked this opening line. It causes intrigue and I can’t help but want to read the next sentence; maybe even the next paragraph. This sentence alone leaves me wondering who is saying this, why are they saying this…and just what the hell happened when that person did see a ghost. This First is a gripper. I can’t help but want to read more.

Last:
Bring it on.

This ‘dare’ makes me wonder just what went on inside this book. I still don’t know who is speaking but the character is definitely brave and is looking something in the eye and declaring ‘war’ on them. I can’t help but like this sentence because I love the Bring It On movies. It makes me think, chick gonna bust some ass up in here.

Verdict for a story yet read: 10
I can’t wait to read it. It’s got spunk all the way around. Stay tuned to see whether H.P.Mallory was able to pull through for us. For the rating on this book, come back Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment