Thursday, January 17, 2013

Classic Corner: Goin' Solo


By JccKeith

It’s Wednesday and on Wednesday’s I usually write classic corner.  It’s usually about either a classic novel or an author of classic literature.  I have to be honest with you, I was happy to journey back to my bookshelf – the special one in my living room with all my classics on it – and bask in the brilliance that is classic literature.

I would like to note that there are three books on my special bookshelf (as opposed to the numerous other bookshelves downstairs full of random books) that I do not like.  They are three Star Wars books.  They stand alongside the great authors pretending to be equal in skill and quality but I see them as imposters.  They are there simply as a compromise of married life. 

These books are the Han Solo Trilogy.  To be fair, Han Solo is a classic all in his own right.  The books, on the other hand, not so much.  The first book, The Paradise Snare, on its cover entices with the words “Before the legends… Before the triumphs… A young man’s quest begins.”


Allow me to reveal one engaging moment from this first book.  Hold on to your seat.  It’s filled with excitement:

“Han slowly inserted his right foot, toes pointed down, and began to pull the boot on.”

I hope that didn’t spoil the suspense for anyone.  I hate it when people go online and chat about books that I haven’t read and spoil the plot for me.  But not to leave anyone hanging on a cliff wondering, I’ll just go ahead and say, he does in fact get the boot on. 

For the record, the books in the Han Solo Trilogy are as follows:

Volume One: The Paradise Snare
Volume Two: The Hutt Gambit
Volume Three: Rebel Dawn

Picking up the third volume, I notice the cover has yet another super enticing quote,

“A young Han Solo plunges headlong into adventure to gain a fortune – or lose his life.”

Looking back through the novel, I remembered one of the key sections of the book.  I found the following line of the book to be very revealing,

“Chewie shook his head, affirming that Wookie night-sight was far superior to human vision.  He could see fine and didn’t need goggles.”

Alas, I have probably already given away too much. 

O.k. to be fair, I have read the books and several other Star Wars novels like X-Wing fighter.  Did I skip over some of the more technical details to get to the drama, well, yeah.  Was the drama as dramatic as I would like, well, no.  Star Wars novels are like that.  They’re not the stuff of romantic novels or young adult novels or even Hallmark specials.

Also, to be fair, I really did not care for any of the Star Wars novels.  For once in my life, I have to admit, I liked the movies better.  The original movies, not that George Lucas altered crap.  I say crap because well let’s face it, the additions were crap.  I would also like to say that I found the newer movies to be nothing short of crap.  Altering the originals was not an act of courage it was an act of narcissism and insanity.

Now, to be really honest, I only read the books for two reasons.  Number one of which was that they were there.  I don’t like to have books on any bookshelf that I have not read.  Number two of which was I really, really dislike losing.  You see, when it comes to Star Wars knowledge, and Star Wars Trivia, I paled in comparison to my husband.  He knows everything about the movies, the characters and the universe.  It’s really annoying.  So I read up a little.  In the name of healthy competition, I needed to level the playing field.

If they made a MacGyver Trivia, I would totally rock at it.  MacGyver is the stuff.  But this blog is not about television shows, so we’ll set Angus aside.  That was his name by the way, Angus MacGyver and he was a physicist not a chemist.  And no one could rock a mullet quite the way he could.  Yeah.

This brings me back to the point of my Wednesday posts.  I want people to read.  More than that, I want people to read the classics.  They are just as relevant today as they were when they were written because people do not change.  The human condition has not changed.  The classics are classics for a reason.  They are great works of literature.  They illustrate what it means to write and write well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment