Monday, January 14, 2013

A Reminder of What It Means To Inspire

Sean Swarner

What They Said Monday By JccKeith

A couple of years ago, I came across this guy and watched his story.  It is quite the amazing story.  Sean Swarner is quite the amazing guy.  He accepts friend requests on Facebook and continuously updates his status on Twitter and Facebook with various events and activities he is involved with.  He travels around, telling his story and offering hope to people who may have had none or who are battling a seemingly hopeless situation.  He inspires and motivates.  

Following is the ESPN segment Outside the Lines featuring Sean Swarner's story:



Tonight when I checked my Facebook news feed I saw Swarner's latest update:

"As many of you know, I'm a 2-Time Cancer Survivor, and the first survivor to summit Mt. Everest.  I've also done the 7-summits (highest mountain on every continent), the Hawaii Ironman, etc.  I did this after a prognosis of 3 months (1st cancer), 14 days (2nd cancer), and with 1 fully-functioning lung.  I was read my last rites and in a medically-induced coma for nearly a year.  My hope and inspiration comes from everyone battling for their lives.  They push me to be a better person and to continue trying to give people something no one can live without... hope.  There are countless people who are unsung heroes, have inspired people in their communities, have done some amazing things and who have never been recognized or thanked for their inspirational input to the cancer community.  Now more than ever, it's time we focus on the positive, the good, and the hope behind the illness as well as the individuals who are every day heroes.  They are the REAL people who make the community pull together... not necessarily a celebrity or someone in the media. Think of someone you now who's battling for their life, the effort they put into staying alive, and think about those in remission who are TRULY thankful for living and not just being alive.  We can all learn from people who have gone through a traumatic experience and come out on the other side a changed and better person.

I tell people that my goal is to inspire you to motivate yourself, or to motivate you to inspire yourself.  People need to realize that you don't need to be THE best, you need to be YOUR best and use yourself as a measuring stick to inspire family, friends, loved ones, and those around you.  

I'm pledging that every day I'm going to try and recognize an everyday hero by sending out a tweet mentioning #REALcancerheroes 

if you have a real cancer hero in mind, I'll highlight that person and thank him/her for giving their community hope and inspiring people to be their best.  @SeanSwarner on twitter or sean@cancerclimber.org " 

-Sean Swarner  

I can't think of much to say about his efforts other than he never ceases to amaze me.  There are a lot of people who travel around giving speeches and writing books and making movies.  Many of these people are more concerned with selling books and making money than they are inspiring or motivating people.  Swarner is not one of these people.  

Swarner seems content to reach people worldwide and offer them proof that one should never give up.  The only limits in life are the ones you give yourself.  Keep believing in yourself and anything is possible, even surviving a terminal cancer diagnosis, or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment