Tuesday, December 11, 2012

What They Said: Hawthorne Speaks


By JccKeith

“Words – so innocent and powerless as they are, standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne

All words have meaning and all writing has an effect.  The goal as writers is what meaning words have in the reader’s heart.  How your words speak to others is directly related to how you put words together.  You have to have a clear idea of what you want to say and how you want it to be heard.  Write with passion and with purpose and always be sure that it is your voice you’re hearing when you write.  You want it to be your voice the readers hear and you should be absolutely certain you know what it is you’re saying.

When I write it isn’t always for the same purpose.  Sometimes I just want to make readers laugh.  For me it is the easiest thing to do.  I am just naturally goofy.  It comes easy to me to write for the sake of humor.  Sharing my ludicrous looney ideas and thoughts with others is what I do best. 

As much as I love to laugh, however, I also write other more useful things.  There are times when I want to help and I want to make a difference.  I want to galvanize my audience and get them moving in some particular direction.  My words are imbued with motivational fervor in the hope of stirring others to accomplishment.  I want what I write to be the impetus of change in the minds of others.   Make no mistake, words have the power to change the world. 

 As great as this motivational and inspirational writing is, it is also only one part of why I write.  I don’t always want to inspire people to action.  In fact, in many cases, my goal is to inspire people to inaction.  I want them to be so moved by my work that they don’t move.  I don’t want them to get up off that chair and do other things.  I want them to sit and be spellbound.  I want them to be so into my writing that they can’t put it down.  I want my world to be a place they don’t want to leave.

No matter what reason is behind my writing, I never fall into the trap of obliviousness to the power of words.  Depending upon how you use them, they are a forceful current that can strike like lightning to the soul or fall like rain upon the mind into great pools of emotion.


No comments:

Post a Comment