Saturday, December 22, 2012

What They Said: Edward P. Jones

by: Michala T.
If you write a story today, and you get up tomorrow and start another story, all the expertise that you put into the first story doesn't transfer over automatically to the second story. You're always starting at the bottom of the mountain. So you're always becoming a writer. You're never really arriving. -EDWARD P. JONES

I find this quote very humbling and one that I believe all writers should recognize. When I am writing anything and that process carries into the next day, I can't just go right in and begin where I left off. Rarely if ever does that happen. Instead, I find I must reread a previous chapter or what I wrote the day before and then collect my thoughts on the creativity I created yesterday. Most frequently I find I change some minor, and even some major pieces of the part I wrote yesterday before I can even begin to continue working on today's piece.

Lost in the City, by Edward P. Jones is a collection of short stories involving African American working class. His second novel, The Known  World, is a fictional novel with a protagonist who was of mixed race and a slaveholder. He won the Pulitzer Prize for this book as well as the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. He’s written other interesting  novels and collections of short stories and is definitely an author to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment