Sunday, December 30, 2012

The World Is a Vampire? No It's a Meme!!!

By: Michala T.

The Word Is NOT a Vampire!
(all white text) Cool Story Bro. Tell it again SweatshirtDo you remember that song? Bullet with Butterfly Wings in which they say the world is a vampire by the Smashing Pumpkins?  In case you didn’t know that saying refers to an even or circumstance which occurs and reminds of you how utterly stupid and unfair humanity can be. For example, you are pulling into Walmart and you see this awesome parking spot right? And then you see a real old person walking across and you slow down to let them pass. Then you pull towards you parking spot and someone takes it from you and flips you the bird JUST LIKE THAT! And then you call your friend to complain and they say, “man…the world is a vampire.”
Well, the world isn’t a vampire. It’s a meme. Maybe your world isn’t but mine is a big fat meme.  First let me explain what a meme is in case you didn’t know.  According to the Urban Dictionary a meme is an idea, belief, or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture. It can be spread from parent to child but in this instance I am talking about memes spread by cultural acquisition (by peers, information, and entertainment media.) Now, this definition is polite and makes a meme almost acceptable.  Urban Dictionary does not stop with just that definition though. Nope. They get to the real nitty-gritty with definition 2. A pervasive thought or thought pattern that replicates itself via cultural means; a parasitic code, a virus of the mind especially contagious to children and the impressionable. Doesn’t that sound scary!!!



I didn’t recognize it years ago when Memes (pronounced Meem) began to slowly creep up and take over my world.  It occurred when I was working with this one woman who would spend hours and hours looking at ‘cats with funny sayings’ courtesy of I Can Has Cheezburger. I thought most of this was utterly ridiculous. I suppose I was not highly susceptible to the stuff.  I nodded and walked away. I thought I was free of it.
How wrong I was.

Today I am surrounded by images of MONSTER… every other purchase my daughter wants is a DOMO, stupid jokes and images span the facebook page since its inception.  Simsimi…even talks to you. Everywhere I go I hear “cool story bro, tell it again.” Now I get to SEE it because my 13 yr old had a shirt made that says it.
Other Meme behaviors…taking your picture with your cell phone as you look in a mirror. FLASH…you and your camera are in the picture? Whatever happened to the picture being behind the scene? Oh and songs that repeat the same line over and over and over and over and over. For example, Rhianna’s song where she says “shine bright like a diamond” TWENTY TIMES in one song!

I don’t know what to say about all this? Has it always been like this? Did I just never see it? What has happened to our world? It’s become a BIG FAT MEME!!! Maybe I can rid the world of Memes.

Or Not....

No comments:

Post a Comment