Friday, December 14, 2012

It's Friday, December 14, 2012


By Julie Keith


This video may seem a little cheesy but in light of recent events, it seemed most appropriate.  

Today is Friday and on Friday’s I normally write a lyric review but today I just couldn’t. Today is December 14, 2012.  It will be a day some of us will never forget.  Twenty children were killed today by a twenty year old young man who went on a shooting spree at their elementary school.  The town of Newtown Connecticut will never be the same and neither will Hook Elementary School.

This man, Adam Lanza, shot his mother in the face and killed her with her own guns at his home.  He then made the drive to the elementary school to shoot innocent children.  There are around 400 children at this school between the ages of 5 and 10.  After the shooting rampage, Adam took his own life.

I cannot even begin to imagine the fear and the pain experienced by the families of the victims.  They dropped their kids off at school this morning probably looking forward to the weekend.  Today was just another day and they went about their lives as usual.  How could anyone anticipate such a tragedy, how could anyone even consider the possibility their child would be at risk of such things at an elementary school?  How devastating it must have been to hear of the shooting and not know whether their children or their loved ones were still alive.  
  • Such unimaginable grief.
I cannot fathom any reason anyone would feel the need or the desire to open fire upon innocent children.  To end their lives so brutally and cause them to take their last breaths in absolute terror is just beyond cruel and inhumane. 

When I picked my two daughters up from their elementary school this afternoon, I had not heard about the shootings.  I had been home all day and hadn’t so much as turned on a radio or television or the computer or even checked my phone.  It wasn’t until a little later that I turned on the television to the news and saw the horrible details of this senseless tragedy. 

Listening to my daughters downstairs playing, one on the computer and the other drawing gingerbread people on paper, I couldn’t help but fully appreciate the sounds of their voices and laughter.  Glancing across the room at our Christmas tree and the presents underneath for not just my daughters but my son as well, I felt like crying.  The thought that they might not live to open those presents never occurs to me.  I send them to school every day and just assume they will return unharmed.

Thinking of the terrible losses to those families, I was reminded of this morning.  We all got up and had breakfast together and a rousing discussion of Lucky Charms and Trix as we ate cereal.  Then I helped Lindsey, my youngest, pick out some clothes for school.  We found a Hello Kitty shirt in the back of her closet that had been forgotten recently but was one of her favorites.  It is dark pink with pink sequins on it and a black sequined bow on Hello Kitty’s head.  It matched perfectly with her black and pink jeans and her Hello Kitty sparkly shoes.

Haley, as always, got herself dressed.  I packed their lunches and dropped them off at school.  As we do every day, they both waved to me several times as they walked to the doors and I waved back.  I don’t know what I would do if it was the last time.  What if those smiles they flashed me with their waves were the last ones I ever got to see?  What if this morning hadn’t been such a great one?  What if we had argued about which shoes to wear or about backpack’s not being ready to go or about hurrying up?  What if today had been the last day of their lives?  Would they know how much I love them?

I am certain my kids would know how much they are loved.  Knowing this, however, only offers some comfort.  This world is, like life, unpredictable and unfair too often.  Words cannot even begin to describe how awful this all is.  I can only say that my sympathies go out to the families involved in this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment