Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I Stumbled and Rumbled with the devil.

by Michala T.

Initially I was going to write another “What They Said” Blurb but I suppose since we’ve kicked so many of them out onto our blog lately the gods had it in mind that I find something else to write on. Following a person’s path of though pattern (especially a woman’s) can be dangerous but more than anything confusing…so I’ll keep this as easy as possible.
Where I began…
I was watching a movie, The Secret of Belle Isle, in which Morgan Freeman’s character (who is a writer) calls his typewriter a ‘Black-Hearted Whore’. This caused my curiosity to flutter. I was indeed hungry to find out what other people (both alive, dead, and fictitious) called their writing utensils.
And then…
I was going to search for this but then got into a conversation about the random webpage generator StumbleUpon and how it might be good to get our website on it. While working through that I ‘stumbledupon’  a few things but having used this site before I knew that I had to back away nicely, gently, quietly…and RUN FOR THE DANG DOOR…otherwise I would ‘wake up’ four hours later from a trance I’d spent hitting the StumbleUpon button. (Can I get an Amen?)
Safe and Sound…
I found my way back to the Google homepage. Now, although Google has their “I’m feeling Lucky” button, it isn’t as dangerous as the previous place I had visited. I felt safe here in my warm little google page. I typed in a few different ways of searching for names for utensils. I tried ‘I named my pencil’ but that got me nowhere solid. I tried ‘I call my computer…’ but all that led me to was how to make phone calls with my computer.
Sigh…

I got brave and…
used Google's Autofill. Have you ever allowed google to suggest things. You know how you can start writing something in the google box and you see various options? Yeah…I did that. Writers who… and my choices the first time were: 
Who killed themselves     Who didn’t go to college 
Who smoke    Who changed the world.  

This wasn’t getting me where I needed or wanted to go either. But I tried again. Authors who give…
their children everything     their kids stupid names   
their soul to the devil           their babies up for adoption.  

It was an accident!
My mouse on my laptop hit ‘their souls to the devil’ and WOW….First I got a glimpse of this one person’s idea of the many actors/actresses who just HAD to sell their souls to the devil, and another told me about another ten  people who sold their soul to the devil (though this site seemed boring to me and I left pretty much after scrolling down a few times. I found one site that made me laugh because of all the replies from a Yahoo question a kid posted.
But it got heavier and deeper. People have entire websites explaining and describing how to sell your soul to the devil or making a commitment to Satan. Of course I ran across a site who called themselves the ‘world’s only reliable news’ website where they graciously offered up the procedures on how I could sell my soul to the devil. I’ll not flash those sites here because…well, that’s not why I’m writing this.
I won’t get all religious on you…
But I will say it’s pretty damn scary what ‘evils’ we have at our fingertips. We can learn how to make homemade bombs, we can ‘kill a person’ by bullying them over the web, and we can learn what it takes to sell our soul to the devil. As if the world is not filled with people who are depressed, scared, alone, and confused…simply looking for something to fill the void in their lives, and Ta-Da! All your answers, right there on the web. Kill the person who harassed you yesterday by following these 5 simple steps! Ruin a person’s life with only fifteen minutes of spraying the most vicious, hurtful words a person would never want to see their name beside. And remove any and every chance of having a life by selling your soul to the devil.
Sigh…
The world is forever being desensitized by cruelty, ugliness, and defamatory words and actions. We allow our children to listen to music that drops F-bombs every four seconds, talks of killing and raping and we let it slide…because the beat is awesome. We can sit back in the theater and watch Final Destination (1, 2, 3, ect) or SAW (I, II, II, ect) and not blink twice at the inhumanity of it all, the bloodshed, madness, brutality. BUT….BUT….WAIT FOR IT….We are shocked and amazed that people cry to their god, Allah, and destroy countless lives because of their beliefs by blowing themselves up or by attacking our buildings, and hijacking our planes. Yet we watch the news and see the numbers of fatalities adding up but we flip the channel, not thinking twice about the REAL inhumaneness and ruthlessness that lives within us because we can so easily      turn it off and ‘forget about it.
But it’s all fun and games for the world. We enjoy a good movie, right? We like rubbing up against a body in the dance club even though that singer is ‘dissing’ the lady by showing no respect for her body. We make jokes…and we forget. We forget the pain. I bet most all of you (of a certain age) can remember where you were at on 9/11/01. I bet you can even remember the shock and awe you felt, maybe ever today reading this you can’t stop the goosebumps that come from thinking about it. And still you forget the pain.
And we wonder why our world, our country, our state, our city, and our homes are in the shape they are…

No comments:

Post a Comment