Sunday, December 9, 2012

Doctor Who a Show Review: David Tennant Rant!

By: William G. Muir
Welcome back all you Whovians. Before we get too far into this series I have something I want to get off my chest. Please bear with me, I am not the sort of person that usual attacks others. But I feel this is something that I must say. So I am going to shoot from the hip here and make my feelings known. Can we please move beyond David Tennant?

This is not a review of the Tenth Doctor, this is not even a review of David Tennant. This is a rant pure and simple, and it is directed at those fan boys/girls that keep posting images, fan art, fanvids to the Facebook, Youtube and any other social media outlet that exist. This annoys the hell out of me. We have a brillant young actor in the role of the Doctor right now and we should all be supporting him.
David Tennant in Single Father







Before any of you get to thinking that I am somehow jealous or do not like the Tenth Doctor or David Tennant that is not the case. I happen to think that David Tennant is a fine actor. I think he possesses an emotional range that few other actor could ever come close to duplicating. I remember watching the BBC miniseries Single Father that he did after leaving Doctor Who. All I have to say is his performance was top notch. My heart was breaking for his character Dave. 



And who could his role of Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
 

How about the Tenth Doctor, you might ask? How did I feel about that incarnation of the Doctor? At the time I loved him. The week couldn't move fast enough for me. I just had to see the next episode. At the time, and I still do, think that the Tenth Doctor was one of the best incarnation of the Doctor that there has ever been. I also believe that David Tennant is one of the top four most important people to play the Doctor. Like William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Christopher Eccelston before him, each actor carried the weight of the series success on there shoulders. (I will go into this in further detail when I cover each Doctor individually.)

So before anyone accuses me of being a I hater, I loved the Tenth Doctor and I believe David Tennant to be a great actor.

Where things started going sour for me was right before David Tennant left the show. About the time that Matt Smith was announced as of Doctor, I start hearing rumblings about how fans didn't want David Tennant to leave. There were even fans that said they weren't going to watch the show once Matt Smith took over.

I knew right away these were not long time Doctor Who fans. I also had feeling these were not people that had started watching the show when it was relaunched in 2005. What I suspected was that these were people who had started watching Doctor Who after David Tennant took over the role. Now I get it that it is hard to see a character you had to grown attached to leave a show. It can the whole way you view the series, but the Doctor was not leaving the show, only the actor playing him was leaving.

I know what you might be saying, when an actor is replaced in a role, the character is never the same. And that is true, but that is also what makes Doctor Who unique. Doctor Who, at its heart is all about change. Nothing is forever on this show, not the set from week to week, not the monster (even the Daleks and Cybermen have changed over the years), not the companion, not the TARDIS, and not even the Doctor. With each new actor that takes on the role, not only does the Doctor face change but so does his personality.
The 10th and 5th Doctors in Time Crash
 
Those of us who are long time fans of the show realize that Doctor Who is going to change. We accept that part of the show. But just because we have accepted that fact does not mean we do not care about the characters or the actors/actress that have left the show. As a classic fan I was overjoyed to see the return of Sarah Jane Smith in School Reunion. And when the Fifth Doctor made an appearance in Time Crash I so geeked out. This was the first time that we had more than one Doctor on the show since the 1989 Children In Need special Dimension in Time.
 
The 3rd, 6th and 7th Doctors in Dimension in Time

Us classic fans love Doctor Who just as much as the David Tennant fan boys/girls, we just love all of Doctor Who. Sure there have been missteps and mistakes over the years. The Candy Man anyone? Those things drive us nuts and even make us what scream at the television “what the heck are you thinking?” But we keep returning week after week. Because even at its worst Doctor Who still offers us something that no other tv show can offer. And that is why we keep coming back.

In closing I am not saying anybody should stop liking the Tenth Doctor or David Tennant. I am not saying you cannot be a fan. I am not saying that you shouldn't go to Comic-Con or Dragon-Con dressed up as whatever Doctor is your favorite, even if that is the Tenth Doctor. This was just a rant by me. Like I said earlier I loved the Tenth Doctor, but I'm not pining away for his return. I'm not secretly hoping that Matt Smith will leave and they will bring David Tennant back in his place. I am happy with the way things are right now.
 
David Tennant in Hamlet
With that said the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who will take place on November 23th 2013. And you better believe if they bring back the Tenth (and/or any other Doctors from the past) I will be geeking out big time. 









https://twitter.com/bitemybook
https://twitter.com/Willseyeview
  

2 comments:

  1. I am a long term Doctor Who fan - from November 1963. There have been times when I have stopped watching because I didn't like the way the series was going, or if I didn't like the potrayal of the Doctor. For example I did not like Tom Baker at all.I stopped watching until his regeneration into Peter Davison's fifth Doctor. I feel sorry for Matt as he is following a really popular Doctor, but I must admit I am not a fan of his portrayal at all, and I stopped watching halfway through series six. This does not make me any less of a long-term fan - my favourite doctor was always William Hartnell. I will wait until we have a new doctor and a new showrunner before I become a regular viewer again.

    ReplyDelete