Monday, November 5, 2012

A murder, a ghost, and a book

That's what I had days before October ended. I wasn't planning on writing this book this month. I didn't have the story in my head. But when I got the idea of the murder in my head, and then the ghost followed soon after, and a day later the book....it felt like I was playing my favorite boardgame CLUE. Where I am putting the pieces together, rolling the dice and hoping I have enough steps for the next scene I need to put together.

And writing this book this November is just like that. Every day I sit down with just a few pieces, never enough and I'm hoping that I have enough steps to make it to the next scene in my chapter. I hope that the word count plays nicely with me, it doensn't always...and I hate those days where I pull up with 1599 words or even worse 1635! Ugh!

That isn't how I started though.

I had my entire novel plotted from chapter one to the very last page. I was ready for November’s NaNoWriMo challenge. And then my characters started changing, evolving, and the story took a turn. And I am left with a blank slate of a story.
I had to do some major plotting mentally and physically. With four chapters down, I’ve had a chance to get to know the characters. I have some knowledge of what they are capable of doing, and what they like and dislike. I’ve also learned some of their (very huge) secrets. It’s pretty amazing.

Writing a novel in such a fashion as NaNoWriMo has its advantages and disadvantages. Some of the advantages include: the exciting roles that are laid out before you. Your characters are thriving beings and although as a writer you are guiding them in some ways…for example in my book my people are driving through Portland. I am the one making them go through Portland. They however don’t wait for me to guide them everywhere. Yesterday my people went to a gas station and a sushi restaurant that I hadn’t intended on them going to. And I was not expecting to see (or write) some of the things I did. These things are the fun parts of writing fast. You haven’t set up the scenes and the characters so much that you know where they are going to be and when.
The disadvantages include not having time to set those details up for your story. I stress about the next chapters, the middle, the ending. I don’t have it. I have no clue where things are going to go. I just don’t have time to sit down and write all that out. I started with it, I swear I did. I had all 30 chapters outlined. But with each scene I wrote the story moved towards something different, something amazing. The confidence I had in the beginning, on day one, because I had that 30 day plan is now…gone.

But the confidence, though wavering, is still there. Even if it wasn’t I would just press on. I’m sure that I’ll lose that confidence. This IS only day 5. Sigh…Lord knows what will come of the next 25 days. But I’m eager to see where the characters and the story will take me.
Current Word Count:
9787/50,000

 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I'm SO jealous!! 9787 words?! You're a machine!! I'm so happy for you! (But I'm still jealous! :P )

    ReplyDelete