Thursday, November 1, 2012

50,000 Words To go

By: Michala T.
 
I've attempted (half-heartedly) to 'win' National Novel Writing Month twice in my past but never made it past the first week. At the point I truly feel there were many variables resulting in my failure to complete the competition. This year will be different for many reasons:

> I am more confident in myself.

> I have a partial novel under my belt already (with 113K words written already) so 50K words doesn't seem so daunting.

> I have a story idea that I am comfortable with.

> I am okay if the story sucks (although I would prefer that it's somewhat reasonable or even falls within the quite entertaining to read category.

> I have a chapter by chapter outline to help guide me. So even if I don't like the way it's going I have some kind of map showing me where I need to get in the long run.

These were all elements that I was missing in my previous endeavors. Let's see how well these elements work; how far they get me. I am going to journal my thoughts, track my progress (or failures) and record the highs and lows. For those who are curious about NaNoWriMo, maybe you will read my journal/experience and find within yourself some ideas for yourself, some confidence to do something that you've been holding off for some reason or other, or just curious to see what all this November lunacy is about. Although this is a 'journal' experience, I am making it public and your comments are welcome. I'd love to have some moral support...that's always great! Even if you just want to drop in and say "Keep it up" or  "You can do it" or "You are crazy!" Whatever! LOL

Anyway...so it begins! NaNoWriMo...

11.1.2012 9am

My story idea...I honestly wasn't intending on doing the NaNoWriMo thing this year. I haven't attempted it in a long while. And many of you know that my cowriter and I are working on a novel of grand proportions. But the other night while going to bed I had this reacurring thought...murder. (No I wasn't mad at my husband nor had my kids misbehaved!) LOL Anyway, I was seeing this girl and she was being accused of murder. Hmm....I didn't know if she was the murder. I didn't even know who she was! But the idea wouldn't go away. And so the next day I as I thought about things, I explained to my friend and cowriter that I was going to have to step away from the novel for a month. And fortunately, he understood; was in fact very supportive!

And Here I am. Right here and right now. Today is the first day of NaNoWriMo. (National Novel Writing Month) I truly had every intention of beginning the novel writing exactly at midnight.  I’m both happy and disappointed that I didn’t. I did get some progress done and I believe it was very much worth the time spent (not writing). I worked out one of the kinks in the early plot that I was kind of suffering over. However, it’s now 9:37am and I’ve yet to have anything down yet. I must say, it feels like it is 9pm already in my mind; I feel like so much time has been wasted. But that’s okay. I’m going to go have breakfast with my husband. I’m not going to sweat things. Then I’m going to head off to a place that I can get some solid writing done (AWAY FROM MY HOME) and I’m going to write from probably 11am until 2:30. Geez…that doesn’t seem like a heck of a lot of writing time. Hmm…maybe I need to rework this timing thing. Tonight is church and I won’t be able to write tonight. Thank goodness my homework isn’t due until Saturday! God I should have a good 3000 words penned by now. Gotta quit stressing! And now I have to go have breakfast! Sigh…(I’d rather be writing-I know that’s awful of me!)
0/50,000

1 comment:

  1. You got this, girl! And I'll be going through it with you, so we'll keep each other motivated. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete