Thursday, October 25, 2012

Word of the Day: Pontificate

Friends, Readers, Fellow Blogger, lend me your screens;
I come here to bury Google, not to praise it,
The evil that bloggers do remains long after they post;
The good is oft interred with their archives;
So let it be with Google. The noble Bite My Book
Hath told you The Word of the Day was ambitious:
If it were so, let it be pontificated.

From Merriam-Webster.com:

Pontificate (pon-tif-i-cate) \pon-TIF-i-keyt\, noun;

1. the state, office, or term of office of a pontiff

intransitive verb;

1a. to officiate as a pontiff
1b. to celebrate pontifical mass

2. to speak or or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way

Oh blog post thou art fled to brutish commenters,
And blogger lost their reason. Bear with me;
My keyboard is in the trash can with Google,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

And go out and spread the news,
Do pontificate to those that may hear you speak;
And perchance you be agreeable folk,
Grace use down below,
With your poetic offerings.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment