Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What they said; 10/10/12

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
Douglas Adams

By: William G. Muir
As writers the space we deal with is just as big as the space Douglas Adams wrote about in his classic Sci-Fi novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It could be the space we deal with may even be bigger than all of space that is known to exist. Scientist have calculated the total number of atoms in our universe is 1088.

As far as I am aware no one has calculated the total number of words that have ever been written down. It wouldn't surprise me if there has been more words written than there are the total number of atoms in all the universe.

Our universe is limited to the amount of atoms that were created around at the time of the Big Bang. The universe that we writers exist in is only limited by our own imaginations.

Even the piece I am writing right now is only limited by what it is I can think of to type into my laptop. I can sit here and bang away at the keyboard for however long it takes until I want to. Which in this case is until I put down enough words that it looks like I have take sometime to think about what it is I am writing. 

I could just end this right here. Or I could start to ramble on much like I am doing right now. It is totally up to me. Well maybe it is not totally up to me. If I want people to keep on reading this I need to take into mind what it is my audience is willing to sit through. In that case I need to be able to write something that you are willing to pass on to your friends.

     In the end I do this blog because I am looking for an audience. If I did not want anyone to read this I would not be getting ready to post it to the Bite My Book blog. (Please make sure to follow us each and everyday for insight commentary on the literary world.) Instead I would either just write this stuff down in a personal journal or I would just let these thoughts whirl around in my head like I do with so many other thoughts.

     But much like what we know about space, which is not that much. Much of the universe, 95% of it, is made up of material that we just cannot see. We know it is out there because we can calculate the effect that it has on the nearly 5% of the universe we can see. But it is simply astounding that we cannot even see a large chunk of the what is out there. At least not yet anyways.

     In a way that is much like the writing process. Of all the novels, poems, short stories, pamphlets, scrolls, clay tablets, and cave drawings that have survived throughout time is just a small amount of the total amount of words that have ever been written.  Think about that, we only have the tip of  the iceberg when it comes to the total amount of material that has ever been penned by mankind. What kind of treasure from long ago are we missing? What kind insightful knowledge have we lost that could have made our lives better? We will never know because it is just simply gone forever.

     But none of that matters to us writers. For those of us that write we all have something to say. We all got a story that is just begging to be released from our brains. That story whats us to put it down on paper and to share it with the rest of the world. It does not care what are skill levels are. It wants out and it wants to be among the people.

     So we sit at our desk, with either a pen in hand getting ready to scrawl ink across a sheet of paper or we sit staring at a screen getting ready to bang away at the keys. The method is really not all that important. What is important is that we have something that we think is important enough to share with the rest of the world. That we feel like the reward is great enough to risk putting our very souls on the line for the critics to see.

     For in the end it is not the ourselves or the critics that we write for. It is you our fans that we write for. That and the story that is screaming at us to be breathe life into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment