Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Roles:


Roles define us. For example: I am a wife, mother, sister, student, daughter, lover, friend, and so on. And these roles can and have at times caused me to feel absolutely crazy in the head. There are times, with all these roles, where I just want to scream “WHO AM I?”

We can’t live out our entire lives allowing these roles to define us truly. We just can’t! Why not? Well, because they are all just smaller aspects of who we are. We can allow these role titles to help guide us but they cannot nor should not ever be allowed to hold us back or hold us down.


For a very long time I have allowed myself to claim a role title. But for the most part I claimed it secretly. I told myself…called myself a writer. I didn’t tell other people though. Not always. Sometimes, those closest to me I might mention it but for the most part I kept all that to myself.

I found that by doing that I was allowing doubt and uncertainty to hold me back. That title should be something I share openly. Of course, now I do. And it has brought about a significant changes within me.

I am more confident in my writing. I share my writing more. I even look at my writing and other people’s writing differently.  I also look at things with a bit more of a critical eye.

Accepting the role ‘writer’ for myself openly has also forced me to move forward with my goals. I do not feel as though I have failed when something does not work out. Instead I accept that I tried something and it didn’t work out the way I had wanted or hoped but I learned one thing or another and those things I did learned moved me closer towards the original goal.

I have learned that I am a work in progress. I am a writer who is always striving towards bettering myself but I am also a writer with much to say. It feels amazing that I have various outlets to share what I want to say. And I thank those who take the time to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment