Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It's not painful, I promise!



Lessons From a Cracked Rear View Mirror

By: Michala T.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I can recall going to the library in my small town nearly every day during the summers and at least twice a week after school during the school year. I read everything. There isn’t a whole lot I remember reading although I can tell you I learned about Sweet Valley High, Lois Duncan, and R.L.Stine while there. Oh, and those Choose Your Own Adventure novels too! Other than a few books I can’t really tell you of the other three million books I read there.


There are three books in particular that made me feel something more so than the others and though I don’t remember the names of the author or even the titles (for the most part) I can vividly recall the stories. One of them had something to do with a Vampire Rock Star. Of course there are plenty of those in circulation these days but when I read my book it was in the late 80’s and Dracula was pretty  much all you could find with vampires in it. The title had something to do with ‘valentine’ but that is all I can recall. Still the book had me in its clutches. I couldn’t put the book down. I actually read the entire book while at the library in one sitting. I was amazed in how the author could move me to have so much compassion for this monster. (yeah…vampires were monsters back then still!)
Another novel I read, this one being of the adult romance genre (now remember I wasn’t even 13 at the time) had me in its firm grip. I tell you what, after reading this book I was forever looking for the fattest books I could find! This author had combined four main characters and it was a romance/who-dun-it novel in which I was entangled in the deceptive webs of four women who used their minds and their bodies to get whatever they desired. This novel was of course important for me because I felt it was something similar to an initiation into the world of adults. I felt my body reacting as I read, not just my mind.
As Maya Angelou states, people never forget how others make them feel, I tend to agree whole-heartedly. Whether it is a great book that you can’t put down or a beautiful voice you hear singing in the throngs of pain and passion, or whether it is that teacher who instills inside you a desire so strong to do more, be more, experience more…people who make us feel make us remember. Sometimes remembering can be painful, yet in instances such as these…it’s marvelous!
Who do you remember the most?


No comments:

Post a Comment