Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What they said...



"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
-Ernest Hemingway


By: William G. Muir
So Michala asked if I would pick out the quote for this week. I immediately knew which one I was going to pick. I had seen it come across my twitter feed earlier in the day. So quickly I hunted it down and presented it to my colleague. As while we were discussing why it should be this week's choice, I could not help but get a tingly feeling in my belly.  Michala kept asking me more and more questions, and was forced to dig down deep to answer them. I knew why I wanted to do this. I understood why I wanted to become a writer.

Sure I wanted to become a writer because I am creative and to avoid working a manual labor job ever again. But those answer were never satisfying. But now, for the first time I had journeyed into myself and discovered the passion that was buried inside me. It was like a scene from the movie Dead Poet Society. Young Tom Anderson has failed to complete his homework assignment. He had failed to do it because he is shy and too scared to get up in front of the class to give an oral report. Mr. Keating places his hand over Mr. Anderson eye 's and tell him to let out what he feels inside. He makes him tunnel down into his very soul. And when it over, an awe struck Mr. Keating declares that Tom might just be a poet after all.

At that moment, I knew what it must have been like to be Tom Anderson.




No comments:

Post a Comment