Thursday, September 6, 2012

What am I reading?

By: William G. Muir
Hello there all you loyal readers, and welcome back. Today I just want to say a few words on the kind of books I like to read. You may be be asking yourself what is it that does catch my eye. Maybe you are wondering what section I automatically go to whenever I enter a book store. What kind of books do I search for on Project Gutenberg? When I curl up at night what I am reading?

If you tied me down and told me I had to choose one book to hold me over for the rest of time, I would pick a Fantasy novel. For me Fantasy novels are truly the passport to the land of make believe. A land where none of the head aches of the modern world exist. A land were magic, dragons, fairies and princesses all exist. It is a chance for me to visit the world that I always picture when studying medieval time back in school. Anytime that I feel like the world is just getting to much I grab a Fantasy novel and let it carry me away.
Examples: Dragonlance Saga, Solider Son Trilogy, The Death Gate Cycle, The Magic Kingdom of Landover

Science, I love Scientific books. I can't get enough of them. I have a never ending thirst for knowledge. I want to know how the world around me works. I want to know what is going on at the subatomic, quantum levels. It is a mysterious world that we can not see with the naked eye; but it has a profound impact on our lives. I want to know what is going on in the heart of a star. I want to know why people act the way they do. I want to know what kind of world our ancestors lived in. I want to know what time is, and how it is affected by such things as gravity. There is a whole world of knowledge out there and I have barely scratched the surface.
Examples: The Greatest Show on Earth; From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time; Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries

Next in line is Science-fiction. I know often times Sci-fi novels are lumped in with Fantasy novels. But to be honest I am not as big on Sci-fi novels as I am on Fantasy novels. Odd when you think of how in the last paragraph I mentioned my love for Scientific books. Fantasy novels are full of adventure and action, while Sci-fi novels feel sterile to me. And their pacing at times can get bogged down. But there is one thing that both Sci-fi novels and Fantasy novels have in common and keeps me coming back. They both tend to come in series. I just love books that are part of a series. When I finish a book I feel like I lost a part of me. Like I am saying goodbye to an old friend. With books that come in series I don't have to say goodbye, not completely anyways. I can pick up the next book and see how my friend is doing.
Example: Star Trek: The Next Generation (series); The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (series)

The last category of books I will touch on is the Historical novel, especially those that are set in prehistoric times. I was introduced to this genre when I picked up The Clan of the Cave Bear in high school. Not only did this book kindle a love for the Historical novel, but it awaken a passion for reading in me. I quickly read the three other novel in this series that were available in the early to mid-90's. Currently I have read all the books in the Earth's Children series except for the last one. I am looking forward to reading in it and hope to get a chance to soon. From there I started to read The First North American series. It has been several years since I read a good Historical novel, but if I was to come across a good one tomorrow I would read it in a heartbeat.
Examples: Earth's Children (series); The First North American (series)

I would just like to give an honorable mention to the Alternative History novels. I have recently come across this genre when I stumbled onto the book 1632. It was a very interesting read. I look forward to reading more books in this genre in the future. We will see if it makes my list of genres I like to read.

What about you loyal readers? What kind of books do you like to read when you are curled up underneath a warm blanket?

No comments:

Post a Comment